Honest and open discussions with your cancer care provider are a vital part of every treatment plan.
When you meet with your physician, bring a list of questions prepared in advance and ask a family member or friend to accompany you to help take notes and provide support. If you are having difficulty coming up with a list, you could consider some of the suggestions below:
- What stage is my cancer and what does this mean?
- Is my cancer in just one organ/place/location or has it spread?
- What are my treatment options?
- What are our next steps?
- What is the best way for me to reach you with additional questions?
- Can you recommend resources for additional information and support?
If you don't understand or have questions concerning an explanation or answer, don't be afraid to ask your doctor for a clarification.
For additional information on how to play an active role in your health care, visit: